As there aren’t all that many entries in the register, we thought we’d simply transcribe it for you.
List of Young Communicants with notes of what is known of them in after life commencing from 1st Communion at Ardler Church 9th August 1885
1885 Communicated for 1st time 9th August
- Isabella Leslie, village, serv[an]t. Left parish at Whitsunday 1886. Attended Bible Class. Recd disjunction certificate for Steeple Church Dundee 14th Ap 1887
- Catharine Leslie. Sister of above, village. Both stepdaughters of William Stewart & left parish with him on his removal at Whitsunday 1885. Taught for some time in Sabbath School & attended Bible Class. Received disjunction certificate for Steeple Church, Dundee 14th Ap 1887.
- Elisabeth Stewart. Servant at Arthurbank. Left Arthurbank at Whitsunday 1886 & went to be cook at a Hotel in Alyth. Communicated here in Augt 1886 & yearly afterwards to
- Joanna Stratton daughter of Alexander Stratton, Railway House
- Christina Miller, Daughter of Alexander Miller, roadman, village. Left the parish for service at Whitsunday 1886, but communicated in Augt 1886 & Augt 1887, & onwards to
- Mary Houston. Servant, E Ardler. In the end of the year married Robert Steel, see below no. 8. Both guilty of antenuptial fornication. Were absolved from discipline by this Kirk Session & admitted to Communion in August 1886. Dead.
- Alexander Turnbull, son of Stewart Turnbull, Mill of Cammo
- Robert Steel, servt at E Ardler. Married Mary Houston, see No 6. Went with his wife at Martinmas 1885 to be serv[an]t at Keillor & resided at Keillor Cottages. Received with his wife disjunction certificate for Kettins 28th Octr 1886.
- James Anderson, railway porter, village. Went end of 1885 to Almondbank Station, communicated here in Augt 1886. Recd disjunction certificate 11th Feb 1887.
- James Fenwick, serv[an]t at Mains of Arthurstone. Left the parish at Martinmas 1885. Enlisted beginning of 1887.
- James Dargie, carpenter son of William Dargie at East Church Lands. Left parish about end of 1888. Guilty of fornication
- John Mackintosh, ironmonger’s apprentice, son of W Mackintosh, village. Went to Dundee summer of 1887, but still a comm.[unican]t here. Recd disjunction cert to Dundee 14th Octr 1889.
- Martin Mackintosh, carpenter. Son of W Mackintosh, village, twin with the above.
- John Milne, apprentice millwright at Welltown Millyards. Left parish in end of 1885, but communicated here at Spriing Communion 1886. Recd disjunction certificate Dundee 30th Mar 1887
- Isaac Chalmers. Same as above. Communicated here at Spring Communion. Recd disjunction certificate to Dundee 30th Mar 1887.
- Thomas Halley, app[rentice] gardner, Arthurstone, son of John Halley, Railway House. Dided 4th April 1889, & is buried in Ardler Churchyard.
- David Millar, serv[an]t at Arthurstone. Son of Alexander Millar, village. Received disjunction certificate on leaving for Mackay, Queensland. 10th Novr 1886.
- Thomas Dalziell, serv[an]t at East Cammo, parish of Meigle. Communicated here at Spring & Autumn Communions 1886 & in Mar 1888
Spring Communion 1886
- Susan Arthurs, serv[an]t. Mains of Arthurstone. Had an illegitimate child in end of 1884. Was absolved in course of spring of 1886 & had her child baptized 30th June same year. Again guilty of fornication, but left the parish at Martinmas 1889.
- Margaret Halley. Daughter of John Halley, Railway House
- Jane Brown, serv[an]t, Ardler. Left East Ardler about 6 weeks before November term 1887 & is now married to Barnet. Died at C[oupar] Angus about 27th January 1889
- George McLeish. Servant E Ardler. Left for Brisbane, Australia, 26 Nov 1887. Now at Botanic Gardens, Toowoomba, Queensland
- Charles Soutar, Junr. Railway Clerk, son of Charles Soutar, village. Transferred to Abercairnie Station, middle of March 1886. Communicated here August 1886, Mar 1887, both times 1889 & 1890
- David Bisset, farmer, Mains of Arthurstone. Admitted as a Comm[unican]t first time Spring Communion
- Alexander McLaren, ship captain, admitted as above
- Robert Stewart, Groom, Arthurstone. Left Arthurstone Whitsunday 1887. Recd disjunction certificate to Broughty Ferry.
- James Paterson, Carpenter, son of David Paterson, Arthurbank Cottage. Left for [space]. Certificated to Forfar Novr 1887
- George Donaldson, serv[an]t at E Ardler. Left E Ardler Martinmas 1887. Communicated here Mar 1889, Aug 1890.
- David & Mrs Lawrie, Railway House
- Peter Robb (married). Cattleman at Bankhead. Left with Certif for Nevay, Martinmas 1887
- Elsie Jane Milne, Manse
- Isabella Ross, village
- Jane Lawson, Welltown Cottage
- William Main, Mill of Cammo. Left parish soon after communion. Residence unknown. Certificated to Dundee, 26th Decr 1888
- William Gall, Mains of Arthurstone. Left parish at Whitsunday 1888. Left at Whitsunday 1888. But communicated August same year.
- David Fairweather, servant W Ardler. Left & went to Newtyle parish, Martinmas 1888, but communicated here March 1889 & 1890.
- Elisabeth Stewart, Balbroggie Cottages.. Left parish, but continued in communion.
- Elizabeth Dargie, village
- Jane Dargie, village
- Isabella Wilson, Longleys Smithy
- Jessie McFeat, Serv[an]t, Welltown. Left parish at Martinmas 1889
- Mary M Ewan, Cammo Muir. Left along with family in spring of 1890 for Dundee & certificated there.
- Andrew Dargie, village
- John Young, Arthurstone Gardens. Certificated to England, where engaged as gardener, March 1890.
- Duncan Stewart, groom, Arthurstone. Certificated to Broughty Ferry, 25th May 1889. Coachman to Major Ferguson, Buchties there
- James Ford, serv[an]t, W Ardler. Under discipline in 1890.
- Alfred Turnbull, Mill of Cammo
- James Wilson, deaf & dumb. Longleys Smithy. Left for Dundee but still in membership
- Helen Mackintosh, village
- Mary Ross, village
- Mitchell, Downham
- James Dargie, Wellinton Row
- Charles Mackintosh, village
- Thomas Soutar, Arthurbank Cottage
- Charles Lindsay, Arthurstone House
- James McRae Junr, village croft
- Edward Cummings, Mains of Arthurstone
- Jessie Lindsay, Cronan
- George Jackson, Stripeside
- William Milne, West Ardler
- Robert Whyte, Keillor
- James Easton, Keillor
[NRS Reference CH2/884/6 p. 13-29]